Khujirt Hot Springs
Khujirt is a small town noted for its mineral hot springs. Khujirt Spa is on the banks of the Khujirt river, at 1.748 meters above sea level. It includes bicarbonate, carbonate, sodium and sulfuric hydrogen. The spa water is used for treating nervous, back, extremities and cardiovascular diseases. Nearby sights are rectangular tombs.
Erdene Zuu monastery
Erdene Zuu monastery is the first Buddhist monastery in Mongolia .It was built at the initiative of the most influential Khalkha lord Abtai Khan, in 1586 on the spot where Karakorum, the famous capital of the Mongolian Empire of the 13th century .The territory of the monastery occupies an area of 400 square meters and is surrounded by a stone wall with 108 stupas. The stone columns ,blocks and sculptures excavated from the ruins of the city show that various building materials were used in the construction of this monastery, which began in the 16th century and continued until the 19th century. Erdene Zuu monastery was severally damaged at the end of the XVII century and the beginning of the XVIII centuries at the time of the struggle of the Mongolians against the Manchu invaders. It was restored several times, in 1760-1796 and in 1808-1814.
Karakorum city ruins
The city was established in 1220. Karakorum was the capital of Mongolia for 140 years and the capital of the Mongol Empire for 32 years.
White Palace of Tsogt
This beautiful palace is situated in the valley of the Tuul river, 20 kilometers northeast of the Chin Tolgoi Kherem. The White Palace was of a queen, Madai Taigal, mother of Prince Tsogt who was a famous historical person, politician and well known poet of the 17th century.
Khugnu Khan monasteries
Ruins of two Buddhist monasteries of the 17th century are present in the southern gorge of the mountain of Khugnu Khan Uul.
Elsen Tasarkhai is a crossing, which extends about 80 kilometers sand lies between Mongol Els and Khugnu Tarma Els.
Town lost in pre-history
The ruins of Moiltiin Am are west of the Orkhon river, near Karakorum. Moiltiin Am settlement is important in understanding the emergence of early society in Central Asia and Northern Asia ,because of the archeological evidence of continuous occupation for thousands of years, from the Middle Paleolithic to the Mesolithic. Finds of stone implements tell the story. Evidence suggests stone tools were produced not only by chipping and trimming, but also bygrinding.
Moiltiin Am appears to have had continuous human occupation for 20.000 years.
Ancient monastery (Shankh temple)
Shankh temple is one of the ancient monasteries of Mongolia, which used to keep the Chingis Khaan’s military black banner.
The Orkhon river has its source in the Khangai Mountain Range and flows 1.124 kilometers, joining the Selenge river in northern Mongolia and so to Lake Baikal in Siberia. The main tributaries of the Orkhon river are the Tamir and Yeroo rivers, which have their source in the Khentii and Khangai mountain ranges. The Orkhon river has numerous species of fish such as Pike, Mirror Carp, Baikal Sturgeon, Taimen, Sig, River Perch, Siberian Umber, Roach, Ide, Bull Ide, Golden Carp, Amur Catfish and Burbot.
Orkhon river canyon (Uurtiin Tokhoi)
The Uurtiin Tokhoi is a cold spring with carbonic gas, which lies at the sheer sided canyon of the Orkhon river. A small cliff and waterfall are at the mouth of the Khurgan Khurem. The nearby place Temeen Chuluu has interesting sights such as the rectangular tombs of the Bronze Age. The historical place of Uuld Ulaan Khad, which was visited by Galdanboshigt, on his way to conquer the Khalkha, can be seen from the northern part of the Orkhon river.
Waterfall of Ulaan Tsutgalan
Ulaan Tsutgalan, a waterfall on the Ulaan river, cascades from unimpressive height of 20 meters. Its width is 10 meters and it extends for 100 meters from the Orkhon river. The Orkhon river flows through basalt rocks from the Gyatruu range to Kharkhorin Soum.
On the peak of the Tuvkhun Uul is the monastery of Tuvkhun. Undur Gegeen Zanabazar erected it. Mongolians erected about 10 stone monasteries in the 17th century.
Ruins of Uigur State capital
Orkhon Khar Balgas was the capital of the Uigur State (9th century) and stands on the east bank of the Orkhon river. Following collapse of the Turkic State arose the Uigur State. Orkhon Khar Balgas was founded as the capital city in 751 A.D by Bayanchur Kagan and covered 25 square kilometers, surrounded by a wall of umber bricked with a water canal around the perimeter. The city buildings covered 5 hectares. Archeological studies demonstrate areas of the city were allotted for trade and handicrafts, in the center of the city were palaces, monastery and temples. The palace had castle walls around it and two main gates in the north and south also watchtowers. There are also archeological finds of quarters used by translators of books.
Turkic inscribed monument
Khushuu Tsaidam is a Turkic inscribed monument of the Turkic State (6th to 8th century A.D). The inscription was written by the grandson of Kulitegin and devoted to the Bilge Khan of Turkish origin and his old brother Kulitigen in 732. It is noteworthy that the “Orkhon inscription” has both a historical and scientific significance. The monument is 3.3 meters high and 1.3 meters wide and the inscription consists of 68 lines. The sides of the monument are in Runic script and the rear side is in Chinese characters. There are more than 40 inscribed monuments of Turkic origin in Mongolia, more than 10 of these in the Orkhon valley.
Ruins of Kidan State capital
Kharbukh Balgas is a ruined monastery on the banks of the Kharbukh river on the territory of Dashinchilen Soum in BulganAimag. Its other name is Khun Taij Balgas. The monastery was erected by Mongolians in the 17th century in the ruins of ancient city of the Kidan State dating back to the 10th century.